OUR CHURCH HISTORY
In 1881, a small group of Christians founded Pleasant Home Baptist Church and became a member of the Waccamaw Baptist Association in November of the same year. The name of the church was changed in 1919 to Loris Baptist Church and again in 1948 to its current name Loris First Baptist Church.
The first building was erected across the street from the current location, and was referred to as the “Brush Arbor Church.” The first pastor, Reverend Daniel Boyd, donated a parcel of land on which to build a more permanent structure. This structure, a white frame building, served well until 1952 when the current brick building was begun and completed in December of 1952.
In 1958, a parsonage was built across the street from the church. In 1988 a new fellowship building was begun. It was completed and dedicated in 1989. Other renovations and improvements have included classroom additions, protective panels for the stained glass windows, a new roof for the main building, renovation of the basement of the main building to improve classroom facilities, as well as new pavement and curbing for the parking lot.
Our Sanctuary underwent a complete renovation in 2003. Worship services were held in the fellowship hall during the process. Completion of the project was celebrated on Heritage Day in 2003.
Over the years, our church has participated in local, regional, North American, and International missions through member involvement in mission projects as well as those who were sent as missionaries from our church.
It has been over 140 years since our first small congregation organized into a church body. There have been many changes to our building and even to our name. One thing, however, has remained true — our love for Jesus Christ and our dedication to His service! This love is reflected through the ministries of our congregation.
To Download Booklet Click Here: 2022 Heritage Day Booklet